“Make a joyful noise unto the Lord, all the earth: make a loud noise, and rejoice, and sing praise.” –Psalm 98:4
You can experience a variety of music at Yorkville United Methodist Church. From traditional favorites to contemporary sounds, praises are given to the Lord! There are a variety of choir and music groups offered. You are invited to join a group!
Music has been an important ministry here at Yorkville since the 1860s when Thomas Shephard started the Singing School. Come and hear some of his descendants sing and find out why the area community often calls Yorkville the “Singing Church”! For more information on why music is important, see Importance of Music.
Raising a Joyful Noise Through…
“…singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord.” –Ephesians 6:20
“The Singing Church” is often what Yorkville United Methodist Church is called within the community. From the 1860’s when Thomas Shephard started the Singing School until today, the church is filled with people who love to sing and make a melody in their heart. People in the Choirs will tell you they love to sing, but they also enjoy the laughter and fellowship occuring during practices. Hymns are sung zealously by all during services. For more information on why music is important to our church, please see the Importance of Music section.
- The Adult Choir currently consists of over twenty men and women, from high school freshman to eighty year-olds.
- Anyone who enjoys singing can join. There are no try-outs and you do not have to know how to read music.
- Music sung ranges from traditional favorites to contemporary tunes.
The Choir is so popular some sub-groups have formed:
- “Happy Trails” is a rotating group of five to eight choir members who occasionally visit and sing to shut-ins. The singing always ends with “Happy Trails to You.”
- “Rhythm and Praise” is an acapella group who have been performing for almost two decades.
- “Hims of Harmony” is a quartet of male voices organized in 2009, who wear their signature color of black.
- There are also many talented soloists who perform with the accompaniment of a trax CD or cassette tape when the choir does not perform.
To read more about why our church values music, please see our Importance of Music section.
Importance of Music“Serve the Lord with gladness; come before him with joyful songs.” –Psalm 100:2
Music is an act which involves the whole human being. It is a physical expression of the soul in a form that allows various voices to sing or play harmonious lines which declares our faith and journey with God.
In the Yorkville parish we have an adult choir, K.I.C.K. children’s choir, and advanced Rhythm and Praise and Hims of Harmony groups. We also utilize children’s voices, small groups, and individual talents in our worship services and to the homebound. If you desire to share your musical gifts to praise God, come and participate in our music ministries.
Take a look at our Music section to learn how you can join us in singing praises to the Lord!
Come join us in joyful song to the Lord! Come join us in fellowship and song!